Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Colin and Cumberland

.....So I'm in this thing called school, and while in the larger picture I'm trying to figure out where I went so horribly wrong, I'm taking solace in the opportunities to see and do new things. For one of my classes I'm supposed to find an exemplary language-learning web site to present to the class. I'm down to hours-to-go (pardon me while I get the hyperventilating under control) with no particular luck...except that I have been reminded of the existence of Colin and Cumberland. I recall being at a conference where reps of some stripe gave a presentation about the project, just on the verge of being launched at that point. If I remember correctly, at that point it was only in Welsh, with plans for Irish and Gaelic off in the future yet.
.....Colin's a newcomer to town, having just inherited a run-down house and a dog from his grandmother. Cumberland's the dog, who is not only secretly able to speak, but is also fluent in the non-English language of the town. Quoting from the Irish section of the web site, "Colin & Cumberland is an introduction to the Irish language through television, radio and online. Short animated television programmes based on the comic capers of Colin and Cumberland introduce the viewer to their world and encourage them to visit this games-rich website and learn some key Irish phrases."
.....I don't know that this is the exemplary learning site I've been seeking, but I'll admit to having been sucked in for hours, between two of the three languages offered. I started with the Welsh site (canúint an tuaiscirt) but switched to Irish when I got a little too frustrated by the lack of translation/explanation. What can I say, I like structure.
.....In its defense, I am not in its target audience, at least from what I can tell. The tag line is "bone up your (Irish/Gaelic/Welsh)" -- in other words, people in Great Britain who may have at least a low-level exposure to the language in question on a daily basis. In that sense I think it succeeds in its attempt. It gets a user's attention and holds it with games and resources and the clips that were run on television in conjunction with the program. In keeping with the Great Britain focus, the Irish is the northern flavor, which kept me on my toes to be sure. I'm familiar enough with it, though, to catch that a few of the characters have, um, highly stylized voices. I'd suspected as much, when I was playing with the Welsh site, but just couldn't be sure. I wouldn't want this to be an absolute beginner's only auditory input for this reason, but I for one am looking forward to going back when I have free time to play. That's July 2008, I think.
.....So...anyone know of a really good language learning site? For any language?...
.....In other fun news: "MacGyver says 'Halo' to Ireland!" (nothing to do with Irish, though)

No comments: