Friday, December 28, 2007

Post-rush posts

Now that finals and the holiday time-drain is over, perhaps I can get back on track a bit. I'll start with some Language Log posts I recently found while catching up on the reading backlog, that are about (or touch on) the topic of a certain file-under-wishful-thinking book on English slang:
The bunkum of "The Bunkum of Bunkum"?
Gullibility in high places
Victims and etymology
(If these entries upset you, please please please ask yourself why. If your answer is "because I want what the book says to be true," or some version of that notion...well, I can only appeal to your sense of reason.)

1 comment:

Glenn said...

Very interesting--Thanks! My parents were both linguists, and active members of the American Dialect Society (Cassidy's villains), so I learned about linguistic quackery at an early age.